Getting your voice heard

Talking about your wishes and feelings, and knowing your rights are very important when you are a care leaver. We will do everything we can to make sure you are safe, well and happy but we need to know how things are for you and to learn from your experiences. We have a legal responsibility to listen to you and involve you in decisions that affect your life.

Hounslow have made promises to all young people in their care which you can see here  Hounslow’s Pledge Promises

If you think that we are not providing the things we have said we will it is important that you tell us.

Who can you speak to?

Your leaving care worker

Every care leaver has a worker, either be a Personal Adviser or a Social Worker, who is there to listen to you and make sure that how you feel is taken seriously. Your worker will visit you at least every eight weeks but you can contact them at any time during office hours (Monday to Friday 9am – 5pm).

Sometimes your worker may need to make decisions that you do not like, but they should always listen to you and explain why decisions have been made.

In exceptional circumstances you can request to change who your worker is. Contact the leaving Care Team / 020 8583 4580

Participation Service

The Participation Service is here for all children and young people in care and and care leavers. Their job is to listen to your views, experiences and ideas and make sure that these are heard by all those responsible for your care. This helps to keep improving the way that children and young people are looked after by Hounslow. You can contact us anytime at or Chloe 07432 594042 /Edwin 07976 878027 / Adriana 07968 891278

The Participation Service organises lots of trips, projects and activities for you to have fun, try new things, increase your skills and confidence and get your voice heard. To find out what’s on offer go to Get Involved

An independent advocate

If you are unhappy with how things are going and feel like your worker is not helping you can speak to an Independent Advocate from Action for Children. They are here to listen to you and help you speak up. They can help with:

  • Things you need to say to those who make decisions about you
  • If you are unhappy about the way you are being treated or you are worried about plans being made
  • If you want to know more about, or need help understanding, your rights.

To speak to an advocate from Action for Children call 020 7254 9408.

How to make a complaint

You have to right to complain if a problem you are having isn’t being solved by your social worker or their manager.

To can contact the Complaints Team on 020 8583 3333 or email

You can find out more here complaints and comments

You can make a complaint online here make a complaint