Important documents

Speak to your worker if you need to apply for any of the following:

  • Birth Certificate – If you do not have a birth certificate we can apply for one on your behalf.
  • Passport – We will support you with an application for a passport if you do not already have one. You will need to apply and pay for a replacement passport when yours expires or if it is lost or stolen. Your passport is your main source of ID so it must be kept very safe.
  • National Insurance (N.I) number – from age 15 years and 9 months you can apply for your National Insurance number. You will need to have this to be able to work, claim benefits, apply for a student loan at university and to vote in elections. You must have the right to work or study in the UK to get a National Insurance number.
  • Driving Licence – We will pay 50% of the cost of your provisional driving licence, a maximum of 20 driving lessons, your theory and practical tests. However, you will need to show that you need to drive for educational, employment or training purposes. This will need to be agreed and written into your Pathway Plan.
  • British Citizenship If you are not a British Citizen but are entitled to apply we will support you to do this.
  • REMEMBER – Once you have these documents it is essential that you look after them and keep them safe as you will need to pay to replace them.
  • Accessing your personal information held by Hounslow Council
    Hounslow Council holds information about any person who receives social care services from them. After your 16th birthday you have the right to ask to see the personal information we hold about you. Please talk to your worker about this. They will talk to you about this decision and make sure that you are prepared to see the information as some of it may be distressing to read.